We are a Catholic Community inspired by the example of Jesus Christ our Eucharistic King, whose kingdom we endeavour to establish both in our hearts and in our midst through prayer, sacrifice and joyful self-giving.
Mindful of Our Lord’s love and concern for the materially and spiritually poor, our Community exercises a particular devotion to St. Anthony of Padua whose gentleness and purity reflects the loving and merciful Heart of Jesus Christ, our King.
Father Zbigniew Rodzinka, CSMA 2020 – Present
Father Jozef Morawski, CSMA 2015 – 2020
Father Waclaw Chudy, CSMA 2013 – 2015
Father Joseph Wasik 2003 – 2013
Father Dr. Andrzej Glaba 1995 – 2003
Father Garnet Sauve 1992 – 1995
Father Peter Rosettis 1979 – 1989
Father John Moyer 1973 – 1979
Father Lawlor McKenna 1972 – 1973
Monsignor Thomas McHale 1970 – 1972
Father Bernard O’Donnell 1962 – 1970
Father Joseph Johnson 1960 – 1962
Father Francis Bennett 1950 – 1960
Monsignor John Harris 1946 – 1950
Father Thomas Battle 1945 – 1946
Father Stephen Auad 1939 – 1944
Father Cas Brzozowski 2012 – 2013
Father Bernard Lee 2010 – 2012
Father Paul Attallah 1978 (Mar – Sep)
Father James Adams 1969 – 1973
Father Thomas Manley 1965 – 1969
Father Neil MacKinnon 1964 – 1965
Father Guy Hamel 1960 (Jun – Sep)
Father Charles Reeves 1957 (Jun – Sep)
Father William O’Brien 1957 – 1965
Father Patrick Gravelle 1952 – 1957
Father Timothy Coughlin 1951 – 1952
Father Edward Madigan 1946 – 1951
Father William O’Flaherty 1945 – 1946
Deacon David Joseph Sandford 2000 – 2015
Christ the King Church in Long Branch began as an idea in the mind of its first pastor, Father Stephen Auad. For some years Father Auad had conducted well attended devotions to St. Anthony at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church on St. Patrick Street in Toronto. Indeed, in 1933, a daily newspaper declared his shrine to St. Anthony to be among the great shrines in Canada.
In 1938 Father Auad presented a proposal to Achbishop James McGuigan, then Archbishop of Toronto, to build a shrine to St. Anthony in Long Branch. The Archbishop, much worried about finances which was rather strained at that time, said no. Father Auad, crestfallen, returned to his home. His housekeeper, a remarkable lady named Mrs. Maggie Jobin, urged him to return to the Archbishop and present his proposal more firmly. Father Auad did so, even to the extent of banging on the desk. This action astounded the Archbishop, for Father Auad was truly the mildest and humblest of priests. The Archbishop is reported to have laughed till tears ran down his cheeks. Then, taking the matter seriously, the Archbishop said, “If you feel so strongly about the church, go ahead, but keep it your responsibility”. Accordingly, on August 4, 1938, Father Auad was appointed the parish priest of Long Branch, and directed to build a church.
The property he purchased was occupied by an old brick house which had been used as a cider plant. To convert it to a dwelling place needed scrubbing with lye to remove apple peels from the floor and walls. While the church was being built a former bank at the corner of Lakeshore Boulevard West and 40th street was transformed into a place of worship. Several parishioners remember assisting at Mass in this building.
Meanwhile construction of the new church was proceeding. Its corner stone was blessed and laid on April 23, 1939 at 3pm, on which occasion Monsignor Patrick Coyle offered Mass and Monsignor James Treacy gave the sermon. On September 17, 1939, the first Mass was offered in the new church by its pastor, Father Auad. On Sunday, May 26, 1940, Archbishop McGuigan blessed the church and dedicated it to Christ the King.
It was Father Auad’s wish that the church be named the Shrine of St. Anthony, but the wish was refused because a church names St. Anthony’s already existed in the archdiocese.
Sadly, Father Auad’s stay in his hard won church was short. About four years after the church was completed Father Auad died. He suffered a stroke while preaching at Midnight Mass, December 25, 1944, and died on December 26, 1944.